Friday, May 03, 2013

Sunday school material

Mystery Box by James Veltmeyer TAS
Mystery Box, a photo by James Veltmeyer TAS on Flickr.

I've been teaching Sunday school, kid’s church or whatever you call it at your church, for grades K-6 for nearly 15 years.

And one thing I struggle to find is good material, so for many years I have been writing it.

I’ve had good feedback with what I’m doing at the moment.

For the main part of my teaching time I do a thing I call Mystery Box.
I have pictures in a shoe box that are from the passage we are looking at that day, we are doing Luke at the moment.
Volunteers pick out a picture from the Mystery Box that I put on a white board.
After all the pictures are taken out I invite the children to try and guess what the pictures have to do with today’s story
After they share I retell the story using the pictures

There are many benefits:
Children are visual concrete learners, when I ask what the story was from the week before they always mention the pictures.
I get to memories a part of the Bible
It’s easy to remember a part of the Bible when you have visuals
The visuals are easy to find on Google
I get to teach Bible stories clearly

Anyone can do this in their church

No comments: