Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Coaching and children's & youth ministry

This year I coached my son's under 6 soccer team. 
I've never coached before, I just did what I thought was right.

On the Coaching Resource from Football Federation Australia website it says: WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF CHILDREN IN THIS AGE BRACKET?

They are 'self-centred' and not yet able to really work together (so do not ask them to perform team play, it is impossible for them!)

I realise what they are trying to do, take the pressure off coaches.
The trouble is I have seen teams play as teams, with passing to other team mates, instead of running  themselves.
Under 6's could be seen as not yet soccer players.

There's a temptation in children's and youth ministry to treat young people as not yet disciples.
They are "young", "don't really understand", "will say the wrong things".
The trouble is Jesus says something different, "the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

No comments: