Friday, May 04, 2012

Solomon and the Aussie soccer shirt

Aussie soccer shirt by james veltmeyer
Aussie soccer shirt, a photo by james veltmeyer on Flickr.

A while ago I did a kids talk where I retold the story of Solomon when he says “Cut the child in two” (1 Kings 3:16-28)

I did a modern version where two brothers each had an 2006 Aussie soccer shirt (I used mine as a visual) and the father says “I will cut the shirt in two”

I had all the kids and the whole congregation in the palm of my hand as I told my version, they were gripped, wanting to know what happens next.

A few weeks later a bloke from church was telling me that one of his grandsons who is 4 retold the kid’s talk I did for one for his family members.
This was hugely encouraging.

It has also made me think that I need to work on my story telling, as a Youth Minister and a preacher.

2 comments:

Goldy said...

Good thinking.

There are moments when I realise that when people think about theological questions, my illustrations might be that thing that sticks & helps them understand.

Humbling

jamesanita.blogspot.com/ said...

Hey Tim

Good to hear from you.

Hope everything is going well at Kincumber.